Friday, December 3, 2010

Helaman 6-7

Quote "Every [convert] needs three things: a friend, a responsibility, and nurturing with the 'good word of God.' It is our duty and opportunity to provide these things."


~President Gordon B. Hinckley




Question "What kind of friend are you to converts, members who are new to your ward, or the less-active? What things do you do to nourish others with the word of the Lord?"

I love this quote by Pres. Hinckley. I think many converts can feel overwhelmed when they join the church because a lot of times they are given a calling right away, and they are like "whoa, I just joined this church, I don't know what I'm doing, or how to do this job". But it is through serving in the church that you develop your testimony, and learn that we are all just humble beings trying the best we can, and even those that are born and raised in the church feel inadequate for their callings at times.

As far as befriending new members, I think for me, it is a case by case basis. Not because I don't feel it is important to welcome all new members, but because in all honesty, I am not going to be the difference for every person that comes to church. There is a lot of diversity in every ward, and that is important because everyone needs friends, and everyone clicks with certain people. So, I personally don't feel pressure that as soon as I see someone new to rush up and introduce myself....I will eventually sit by them, or see them somewhere, and then I will talk to them. I like it to feel natural, I don't like that forced friendship feeling. But that is just me. In any case, following your promptings by the spirit is what is going to make the difference. If I feel prompted, I try to act. The Lord knows better than I do what and who will make the difference for each one of His children.

No comments: