Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve Crazies!

Okay, what would Christmas be without total chaos, and trying to add something spiritual in the midst of all the insanity? It just wouldn't be Christmas! :)
My family has always done the big "Christmas Eve" as our tradition. When I was little, all of my cousins would come over, my mom would make a huge dinner, and we would always have a program. My grandmother started the "program" tradition. The little kids would always dress up, and act out the nativity. My oldest sister, Stacey, was the oldest cousin, and she saw to it that all of us were lined up, dressed, and ready to go. It was always chaotic, but memorable. As we got older, (and my brothers became more obnoxious) (sorry guys, but it's true), the programs were less and less, and when attempting were defeated by mocking, laughing, and joking.
So this year, my sister and I decided that we wanted our kids to do a "program". I spent a week writing it. It turned out really good. It was a mixture of the fun things about Christmas, and the nativity, and missionary work. I was so excited for the kids to do it. The only problem that we had, was that Katelyn was very very sick with double pneumonia and a kidney infection, and couldn't rehearse at all the whole week (she was lucky not to be in the hospital). We never ended up doing a practice.
So, on Christmas Eve, Katelyn thought that she felt good enough to go over for a couple of hours. So, we got there, and ate a beautiful dinner, that Lolo killed herself making! Then, she and I took the kids upstairs to do a quick run through, so that the kids knew what to do (there were songs to sing, costume changes, and lines they had to know). 15 minutes after we went upstairs, all of the men started yelling up "Are we gonna do this thing or not?" "Let's go!". So, with total and complete chaos.....we began "The Christmas Program". Never mind that the kids didn't know where to stand, or that they would get thirsty in the middle of their part, and leave to go get a drink, or that the cd was skipping during the most spiritual part, or that no one could remember their lines, so I'm whispering them loudly to all the kids, and that their costumes were on at the wrong time, or that they were on backwards........I'm saying, it would not feel like Christmas without all of this craziness!
Program ruined???? I'm gonna say no, because at least we attempted it....and the spirit was there regardless of all that! No pictures, because Jeff was videoing, and I was running around these kids the whole time, and as soon as it was over, their costumes were flung all over the floor as they tore into the other room to open their presents! But I did get cute nativity costumes from OTC (before you ask, no, I don't sew)!

Anyway, we let all the kids open their presents from aunts, and uncles, and grandparents, since that was the only time we were together. It was a lot of fun....and the kids got some really great gifts! :)
Grown-ups table
The kids table
Tyler opening his first present of the year!
Katie even being well enough to go was our present!
Tylee, Zac, Lolo, Grandma Reenie, and Charles

Both Colby and Austin (the 2 football obsessed boys) received Jerseys

Colby, Alex, Adam, and Charles in the background

My beautiful sister Lori, and her look-a-like grandma Reenie

1 comment:

BeckyinQC said...

It sounds like your program went about as good as my skit. Do you ever wonder why we even try? Seriously! I'm sure it was awesome though - we are hardest on ourselves. I'm glad you and Katie were able to make it to celebrate with your family.