Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Story Behind The Stocking!


Growing up, we didn't have normal looking stockings....in fact, I don't remember any excitement over Santa or anything magical (of course, I was the youngest of 5 children). In any case, we always had one of my dad's black work socks, and it was always stuffed with an orange, and some kind of sweet (bear claw, danish, or my favorite...Cadbury Bar), and later when available, juice boxes. Regardless of any presents we received, the stocking remained the same.

When questioned by the children, my mother said that the tradition of this came from her father, who grew up during the depression, and that the stocking with an orange and a sweet, was his Christmas. Having a fresh orange and a piece of chocolate was a big treat for him.

When Jeff and I got married, I chose to carry this tradition on, in hopes that my children will ask me the story behind it, and I will be able to help them see the abundance of blessings they have. So, what may seem like a lame Christmas breakfast to them now, hopefully will one day make them think about how fortunate they are, and that sharing in that one little piece of their great grandfathers life will make them realize the importance of knowing their heritage!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Funny you should post this...we were talking about the tradition of having an orange in the toe of the sock a few days before Christmas. My dad always had one and so did we...I haven't kept the tradition every year but I did put an orange in the toe when all my children were smaller. My kids love their stocking and have said many times that it's their favorite part of Christmas. I've added traditions of our own like a "Life Saver Candy Book" that the kids get every year. I think the main thing is to have family traditions they help become the glu that holds us all together, well that, coupled with the Gospel of course.

BeckyinQC said...

I think this tradition is awesome and a good reminder to be thankful for the simple things in life! It doesn't always have to be about getting EVERYTHING.