Friday, July 2, 2010

Alma 14-16

Quote "The right question to ask is not why good people have trials, but how shall good people respond when they are tried?"
~Elder Marion D. Hanks
"Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long suffering and self-mastery. The sufferings of our Savior were part of his education."
~President Spencer W. Kimball
Question "How do you respond to adversity?"
Well, if I'm answering honestly, I cry, kick, complain, and have a pity-party. Well, I guess I do that sometimes, and other times, I am humble, and optimistic, and cheerful about it. It just depends what the adversity is.
I can really relate to Amulek in this reading assignment, when he can't stand to watch the women and children be burned, and he wants to do something to stop it. I have seen someone I love very much, be put in a comparable situation, and it is UNBEARABLE! I didn't understand it, I still don't really fully understand it. I am trying to learn. And reading scriptures like this one helps me feel a little better about it...."But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day." (Alma 14:11)
What I love about this scripture is that it clears up a lot of questions about why the Lord allows so much suffering in this life, and also the gift of agency. He has given us ALL agency, and He doesn't take it away. He allows His children to choose for themselves, good or evil, and there would be no real justice if He did take it away from some, and not others.
Sorry, I'm going on a tangent....back to the quote/question. I feel that sometimes, it is better to go through the challenges ourselves, than to see a loved-one suffer....especially children. However, part of learning to depend on the Lord comes from adversity, and if our loved ones, and children had no adversity, they couldn't develop their own testimonies about the Lord.
We all have good days, and bad days....and we all probably react accordingly to adverse situations. But it is good to always keep in mind to have an attitude of gratitude for adversity, because it brings so much opportunity with it. We have the chance to grow closer to our Savior through depending on Him, and we have the chance to learn and grow from the experience itself, and we learn to have charity and empathy for others going through similar problems. Adversity is necessary for us. It is not fun to go through, sometimes, it is excruciatingly painful....but it is necessary for our growth. So, we can mope and complain, that is our choice, as we all have agency....or we can look at the problem, and say "Lord, what would Thou have me learn from this? Please help me to learn everything I can from this, and please give me the strength and courage to get through it."

No comments: