Sunday, July 25, 2010

Alma 17-18

Quote "Fasting can help us overcome personal flaws and sins. It can help us overcome our weaknesses-help them become strengths. Fasting can help us become more humble, less prideful, less selfish, and more concerned about the needs of others. It can help us see more clearly our own mistakes and weaknesses and help us be less prone to criticize others...Throughout the scriptures the term fasting is usually combined with prayer...Fasting without prayer is just going hungry for 24 hours. But fasting combined with prayer brings increased spiritual power."
~Elder Carl B. Pratt
Question "What experiences have you had with fasting?"
I have had many fasts in my life...some more purposeful than others. I have fasted for forgiveness, sick family members, financial guidance, and many other reasons. Some of these experiences have led to immediate answers, and blessings. Other times, I haven't gotten immediate answers, but was blessed with more patience in waiting for an answer.
I won't go into too many details, because some experiences are very personal, but I will say how grateful I am for the knowledge of fasting. Fasting always brings a certain amount of peace, and always brings blessings in some form or another. I am so grateful for any means that helps me feel closer to my Heavenly Father. It is hard in the hustle and bustle of day to day things to feel His spirit...but fasting (with prayer of course) really helps me feel more connected.
I will share a true story that recently happened that touched me.... I know a woman with a 7 year old little girl, that is dealing with some very hard circumstances....the daughter asked her mother "I know I have to have faith, and pray, but if there is something I want very badly, how do I get my prayer answered?" The mother replied "Well, fasting is one way to help our prayers get answered. When we fast, we are showing Heavenly Father, that we are willing to give something up very valuable to us, in order for Him to know how much that prayer means to us." So this little 7 year old girl, on her own decided that she was going to fast! So she fasted for 2 meals without any prompting or reminders from anyone, and prayed her heart out for this request. Later that evening, she received a phone call that answered her prayer! It's wonderful for me to realize that even our youth can have these life-changing experiences, and set an example for the adults around them!

No comments: