Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Alma 19-20

Quote "Anger is not an expression of strength. It is an indication of one's inability to control his thoughts, words, his emotions...When the weakness of anger takes over, the strength of reason leaves."
~President Gordon B. Hinckley
Question "When is it most difficult to control your anger? Why is it important to stay in control of your thoughts, words, and actions?"
Ummmm, I need to write this quote on a post-it note, and stick it to my forehead everyday! I do have a problem with anger at times, and it frustrates me that I don't have better control over my emotions. I am a very emotional person, and I react before I think things through. And there have been times, that well....let's just say Mel Gibson and I have a lot in common. Alright, maybe not that extreme (by the way, love Mel, and feel sorry for him)....but definitely have used anger as an expression more often than I care to admit!
It is most difficult for me to control my anger when I have had limited sleep, or when I see something so outrageous that other people find acceptable (I'm sure there are other occasions, but I'll just stick to these for now).
Here is why I need to learn to control my anger....it makes me feel bad about myself! I honestly don't have one intention in my body that really wants to hurt another human being...but when anger takes over, that is exactly what happens. I hurt the people that I am angry with. No one really wants to be yelled at, or name-called, or degraded....I know I don't want to be treated that way, and yet, I treat others that way at times. I have cried myself to sleep many nights feeling guilty for being such a bad mom, or mean wife.
The other problem is that others will see that in you, and may use it against you. I know many people that have gone through a divorce and the spouse talks about how verbally abusive, or "crazy" their spouse is. That leads to question what kind of parent they are, and most likely anger management classes.
And also, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I am looked at by others as an example of my faith. What are they going to think of the Church by watching my behavior?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the same exact thing when I first read the quote..hahaha i so needed to see that last night..in the middle of being angry, i was reminded it was time for family prayer...not making excuses but we are humans with feelings and if we don't show these emotions than something is wrong..which is why we have a picture of Christ in our house and in each of our rooms as a reminder that if HE can bare all than surely we can follow his footsteps..I find that when I'm well rested and well fed, than I am not so easily angered (lol) but when i'm tired after being at work and all it has to offer with stress then coming home to kids acting up and laundry and mess in the house...i can't help but fall into the easily angered mood...and i really do need to work on that..my kids are my life and i try real hard to be an example as i feel that i've been left alone as a single parent to make sure they stay on that straight narrow path....hard but i try...i have not been consistent keeping up with our scripture study but i love it that i can pop in here and see it...love ya girl!

The Shiflet Family said...

Love you too, and you are an AWESOME mom!!!