Thursday, March 12, 2009

Equine Finesse

So, for Katelyn's birthday, my mom and grandma bought her horseback riding lessons. I checked several websites, and attempted to contact about 4 different people about the lessons, however, I only got a reply from one person. I decided to give her a go, even though she is a little farther than I wanted to go (Guadalupe & Higley). Anyway, today was Katelyn's first lesson.

I have to say that I was very impressed with Katelyn's instructor. I was honestly expecting someone older, maybe 40's, and to my surprise this very young woman (who I would guess would be maybe 20???) came out to greet us. She introduced herself as Merilyn, and started telling me her long career as a horse woman. She has ridden just about every discipline, and was very good with Katelyn. She had about 9 horses on her property, including a brand new baby colt that was delivered last night (he was so cute!)

The horse she started Katelyn on was Buster Brown, a Quarter Horse Pony, which means he is a quarter horse that was bred to be pony size, which is great for a small beginner rider. Anyway, I loved that she had Katelyn, lead him out, brush him down, comb his mane and tail, pick out his hooves, and help saddle him up for the ride. She only got to ride for about 20 minutes, and in that time learned how to go, stop, back up and steer him properly. I thought it was great! Correction, Katelyn thought it was great. She was not happy when it was time to leave.

After talking with Miss Merilyn, I found out that she is LDS, which is an added bonus to me, and I thought she had a great place, she was just wonderful. She is also an artist, so if you want a portrait done of you and your pet, she can do it. If you are interested in finding out more her website is http://www.equinefinesse.com/. I highly recommend her. Anyway, here are the pictures I took. They would have been better, but I had to fight Tyler kicking and screaming to get down and get into everything.












She already can't wait to go back. So this experience is either going to get it out of her system realizing how much work horses are, or it is going to fuel the fire. Only time will tell!

2 comments:

The Slider Family said...

What a cool birthday present. She looks so cute riding the horse. Thanks for your sweet message the other day. I'm glad someone is finally in our house. We miss you too! When are we going to plan the Vegas trip?:)

The Shiflet Family said...

I don't know our neighbors yet, but Mary said that they have 4 year old twins, one boy and one girl. It will never be the same without you guys, although I have to say, looking at your blog, it seems like you guys have a pretty great life. And every picture of the house you live in is gorgeous! I am always a little jealous because you guys are always doing something fun.
Now, about our Vegas trip....hmmm, Tyler is still such a Mamma's boy, that I can't leave him yet, so maybe this fall or next spring, depending on him and finances. We are trying to move our office to a new location, so we just have to see how it goes. But in my mind, we are already there!!!! I know Jeff misses Matt as much as I miss you (although, he tries not to show it). Anyway, thanks for the message. TTFN