Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mosiah 21-23

Quote "Life is full of difficulties, some minor and others of a more serious nature. There seems to be an unending supply of challenges for one and all. Our problem is that we often expect instantaneous solutions to such challenges, forgetting that frequently the heavenly virtue of patience is required."
~President Thomas S. Monson
Question "When is it most difficult for you to be patient? Why is patience important?"

Patience is difficult for just about everyone I know when they are struggling. I am sure that there are several reasons that we do not even know about for the need of having patience. I know that one of the reasons is because if we had instant gratification all the time, we would have no appreciation. The longer we struggle, the more grateful we are for the relief when it is over....just like a city in severe drought for years, is so grateful for every little drop of rain, while, other cities that have sufficient don't even care one way or the other.
Another reason, in my opinion, is because it draws us closer to the Lord to have challenges. We need to rely on Him and His timing, which is difficult because we can't see what He sees, and we don't know what He knows. Patience, gratitude, faith, knowledge, and charity are all intertwined with each other....it seems as though one depends upon the other. The more we have of one of these virtues, the easier it is to obtain the others.
It is definitely most difficult for me to be patient when it comes to children's sufferings (especially my children). I hate to see children have to go through unjust and terrible things. I have to constantly remind myself that their trials are necessary for their growth of faith and character for them. I truly believe in my heart that Heavenly Father does not allow "unnecessary suffering" on this Earth. I don't think He causes it, we do have free agency, but all of the suffering we endure teaches us, strengthens us, and will eternally help us.

No comments: