Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mosiah 12-14

Quote "When I was a little boy...I came home from school one day, threw my books on the table, and took the name of the Lord in vain in expressing my relief that school was out for the day. My mother heard me. She was shocked. She took me by the hand and led me to the bathroom...then proceeded to wash my mouth out with that terrible soap...and then said, 'Don't let me ever hear such words from your lips again.' The taste was terrible. The reprimand was worse. I have never forgotten it, and I hope that I have never used the Lord's name in vain since that time."
~President Gordon B. Hinckley
Question "How can we keep the Lord's name sacred?"
What an appropriate question considering the day and age in which we live. I can't believe how common place it is for people to take the Lord's name in vain. I hear it everyday, whether it be on tv, the radio, in the store, emails and texts (OMG....even Mormons use this and in their minds its meaning is Oh my gosh....but isn't that like ordering non-alcoholic beer?) My children hear it regularly, and have also said it themselves a time or two. It is very offensive to me. I cringe when I hear it. Especially when I hear it said in front of my children. They are so impressionable, and to hear it every day makes them more likely to be de-sensitized to it. In all honesty, I would rather my kids say a cuss word than take the Lord's name in vain. I have tried to set an example for them, and I try to talk about it with them on a regular basis...I don't know how to completely obliterate it from their lives, because it is everywhere, everyday. Kids they go to school with say those things all the time because their parents say it, and it is no big deal to them.
I actually find it ironic that so many people will take offense to someone making a comment about their "mamma", and yet they don't think twice about someone using their "creator's" name in a similar manner. Sad, really.

No comments: