Friday, May 21, 2010

Mosiah 29-Alma 1

I need to start this post by saying that I miss my sister terribly...Stacey Lynn Cope...it was 12 years ago that she died! I love my Tatielyn!
Quote "The Nephite prophets repeatedly identified the wearing of costly clothing with apostasy and failure to live by gospel standards."
~Elder Bruce R. McConkie
Question "What might your way of dressing say about you?"
It would say...."girl, you need a trip to Ross!" :) I agree that wearing expensive clothing just seems like such a wasted luxury. Everyone likes to have nice things, and I am no exception to that, but when I see the people in Hollywood, wearing only "designer" stuff, and their followers, who will buy anything because they saw their favorite celebrity in it, just blows my mind. I would never spend $1,000++ on a dress or a purse, or shoes...that's just craziness! All of that wasted money could clothe a lot of needy people, or feed a lot of needy people.
I don't think that the gospel teaches us to wear rags and give every cent we have....rather...in my opinion....teaches us to look clean, and presentable, and to give what we can, when we can. If our hearts are set upon looking perfect in this world, and having the praise for it....then we better enjoy every second of it....'cause we are not taking it with us!
On a side note, in today's reading I came across this verse...Mosiah 29:27 "And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land." I think this has been a long time coming in this country, and the past year has been unbelievable! I feel it is important to speak out for righteousness, even though it is not the "popular opinion".....but I truly feel that there are more Christians that have good hearts in this country than these evil people trying to force their ways upon us....but we are so silent....in voice and in vote....and that needs to change!!!!

3 comments:

The Boudy's said...

I miss her bad. SO bad, that I try to shut her out, so I don't have to feel sad about all of the time I didn't get to have with her and..
All the things I could have learned from her...
All the fun I could have had with her...
All the things we would laugh about together...
and All the little things we would fight about ;)
But little reminders about her every now and then bring a smile to my face.

The Boudy's said...

I love you Summie.
You, Lolo, & Mimi are all I have left to replace her. And I'm so thankful for that :)

The Shiflet Family said...

You do the same for us Mel...you bring a little piece of your mom back to us, because we see her in you! And we are sooooo thankful to have you in our lives! You are one awesome woman, and we know how proud your mom is of you, and know that she has been by your side! Love you so much beautiful girl!