Sunday, November 28, 2010

Alma 57-59

Quote "He whose name this church bears has promised the He will be in our midst, lead us along, go before us, and even fight our battles. He has further counseled, 'Be not afraid of your enemies, for I have decreed in my heart...that I will prove you in all things, whether you will abide in my covenant, even unto death, that you may be found worthy' (D&C 98:14)."

~Elder Neal A. Maxwell


Question "How can the Lord help you overcome fear?"


Fear is the opposite of faith....and yet I personally fear many things through my worldly eyes. But, when I look at things through my spiritual eyes, I realize that we should not fear. Fear does not come from the Lord, and considering that He is more powerful than all, if we are keeping His commandments, and our covenants, we don't need to fear, because He will help us in all things.


I was just talking to my daughter this morning, she was asking me what it would be like when she dies. After talking to her about it, I asked her why she wanted to know, and she replied that she was scared of dying. I remember being scared of dying when I was little, and my kids are scared of lots of different things, and having me as a mother, probably doesn't help that. However, I am trying to set a better example for my kids, and am constantly telling them that if you are keeping the commandments, and living as righteously as you can, that you don't need to be afraid.


I just think that it is something that you have to have your own life experiences with, and that the Lord works with all of His children in different ways. There are many of His children that are fearful, and they will be strengthened according to their desires, and experiences, and depending on what is necessary for their missions here on earth.


I can see in this reading why the Nephites might be fearful of the Lamanites, because their hatred was so strong, and they just kept attacking, and attacking them, every chance they got. I'm sure that was difficult for the Nephites. Yet, the majority of them chose to be faithful, and not let fear overtake them. They chose to trust in the Lord, and the Lord helped them because of their obedience and faithfulness.

No comments: