Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Weekend!

We went to Safford for the Easter weekend for two reasons. One because Jeff's Aunt Eva Gene Shiflet passed away, and they were having the graveside in Central, and we wanted to be there; and two, because the kids haven't gotten to spend very much time with their Grandma lately, and this was a perfect weekend to go. So off we went.
I have to say every trip whether big or small, has its ups and downs. We got up early Friday morning, and dropped my kids off at my mom's house, and then Jeff and I went to his aunts funeral in Mesa. After the funeral, we had an hour and a half to get home, pack up all of our stuff, pick up the kids from my moms, and get to Central for the graveside. We were running about 30 minutes later than we should have, and I ended up having to change all of the kids into their church clothes in the car, while Jeff is driving 90 (don't worry, we said a prayer before we left). Well, I took off Katelyn's glasses to change her clothes, and set them on the center console, and somehow, they got knocked off and stepped on, and extremely bent! Not good. Well, we ended up taking them to the Walmart the next morning, and the lady tried to fix them, but they would break if she did anymore, so they were still crooked the rest of the time.
Anyway, the weekend was lots of fun at Grandma's house. The kids had so much fun taking over all of Grandma's toys, without sharing any of them, and running around all over her house. They got to play with her kitty, they got to get Grandma's mail (which is a big deal to them to have the mailbox right at the end of the driveway!), and Grandma bought them each a toy while visiting which was very sweet. Jeff enjoyed eating at the Casa twice, and scorpion hunting at night, and helping his mom complete projects around the house.
Austin and Katie getting Grandma's mail

Grandma teaching Katie how to get rid of hiccups
(Put some water in your mouth, plug your ears, close your eyes, and swallow!)

Katie and Austin petting Grandma's kitty

Tyler enjoying a corn dog with his dad!

We colored eggs Saturday night, followed by a new tradition of making resurrection cookies. It is a cool recipe that each ingredient represents something about the atonement, and you read a scripture while you add each ingredient. Then you put them in the oven, and put tape on it (to seal the tomb), and go to bed, and then in the morning you open the oven, and there are these cracked, hollow tombs in the oven. It is really cool, and even though the scriptures are over my kids head right now, I know the more I do this tradition, the more they will remember what the "real meaning" of Easter.

Tyler exploring the wonderful world of "dunking the Easter egg!"

Austin, "the old pro"

Grandma helping Katie out

The only reason I put this picture on is to show you how long Tyler's eyelashes are! I wish!

The kids posing with their cousin Tathra

Easter morning, the kids followed their chocolate trails to their Easter baskets. After playing with their toys for a while, we checked on our cookies, and ate breakfast. My kids LOVE Easter egg hunting. They could do it all day long. It was a little cold and windy in the morning, so we hid Easter eggs in the living room before church. We got ready for church in such a hurry, I didn't get any pictures done. We went to only Sacrament (quite frankly, we were all so tired), and came home and I took a nap with Tyler, so again, no pictures. (Some Mormon mom I am, I don't even take my family pictures on Easter!) After my nap, Tammy and Dave, Jacob and Lindsay, Chad and Megan, and their two kids Gavin and Mallory came over and we had a yummy dinner with ham and chicken, potatoes, corn, green beans, salad, rolls, and pineapple cake! After we ate, the adults hid Easter eggs for the little ones about 5 or 6 times in a row. But it was so fun, and we were having such a good time that we didn't want to leave. Thanks Grandma for making this Easter so special for us!

Katie's Easter basket!

Austin's Easter basket! (I think the socks made him doubt it was from the Easter Bunny!)

Tyler's Easter basket!

And, of course, Tyler destroying all of the Easter Baskets with his vacuum!

Austin and Katie opening the tomb on Easter morning

"The empty tombs"
Tyler wanted to help hide the eggs for the kids!


Tyler finding eggs!

Put it in the basket Boo-Boo!

Austin showing off his hard work!



Katie is ready to count how many she found!



Katie and Gavin climb the tree to search for more eggs!


Katie and her "Grandma, Grandma"


Katie and her Daddy!

Tyler had a ball walking back and forth on this planter box!


I did luck out a little on the drive home. I thought that I better drive, since I am the slower driver, and I knew that there would be cops all over the roads on a holiday. I ended up getting pulled over in Bylas. The last sign I saw said 65, and I was going 60, and the cop said I was 10 over, and that the speed limit was 50. I didn't even have my license, it was really embarrassing, and Austin was saying, "mom, you got pulled over by the police!" Anyway, he was nice, and let me off with a warning (whew!) After that was smooth sailing!

3 comments:

BeckyinQC said...

It looks like you guys had fun. I love the pics, but next time I expect my mormon mom friend to post some in their church clothes!! Come on. . .get it together!! Just kidding. I love your tradition of resurrection cookies. I may try to adopt that one next year.

The Slider Family said...

What a busy and fun weekend! Your kids are so big...I think Austin has grown a foot! I had a resurrection cookie on Sunday, made by my Advisor, it really is a great tradition to start. Way cute Easter baskets too!

Miss Sue said...

found your blog through Mary, hope you dont mind The shot of Tyler next to the basket in Jammies is way so cute, he sure brings a smile to your face.