Friday, March 26, 2010

1 Nephi 3-5

Quote "I have learned not to put question marks but to use exclamation points when calls are issued through inspired channels of priesthood government."
~Elder Russell M. Nelson
Question "Why did Laman and Lemuel murmur? Why did Nephi support his father? What determines whether you are a murmurer or a supporter of the Lord's work and His prophets?"
I have to admit that I have always felt a little sympathetic towards Laman and Lemuel, because I think it would be very hard for me to just leave everything I've known, all of my comforts, and just follow my father into the wilderness, and not know where I would be from day to day. That would be a hard thing for me. However, I hope that I would not continue to murmur after seeing an angel, and knowing that my little brother was able to slay the man that was trying to kill me. I hope that by that time at least, I would keep my mouth shut.
But I think that Laman and Lemuel murmured partly because they are human, (I think the majority of humans do complain), and partly because they didn't have the faith and understanding that their father and brother did.
I think to some extent it is human nature that rebels against other people (especially family members) telling us what to do, or how to do it. But, Laman and Lemuel were obedient enough to follow their father into the wilderness, which they didn't have to do. So, I've always wondered why they were obedient in some things, but not others. They clearly complained about having to go and get the plates, they didn't want to, but they went...why? Did they finally decide that they could visit with some friends while they were there, or maybe their dad made them do it??? Laman went to the house of Laban first by himself, showing signs of obedience....he could have said that he didn't want to go. Ultimately, I think the older brothers murmured because they didn't see the bigger picture....they weren't prophets, they didn't have enough faith to ask for themselves. They took the easier road of letting others make decisions for them, but complained about it the whole time.
Nephi supported his father because he did have faith. He did desire to know the truth for himself. He asked, and he received. And because he had visions, and heard the Lord's voice, and saw the angel, it only reinforced his faith and obedience.
Oh how I would love to say that I was like Nephi, steadfast in keeping all of the commandments. Unfortunately, I have murmured a day or two in my life (or maybe it's that I've not murmured a day or two in my life). I think that one of the greatest gifts that has been given to us is personal revelation. We are not asked to blindly believe anything. We are encouraged to ask for ourselves! The scriptures say repeatedly "ask and ye shall receive....knock and it shall be opened unto you..." we can ask, and our Heavenly Father is more than happy to bless us with the knowledge that we seek. That is so incredible that he will gladly reveal the same things to all of his children, if they have enough faith to ask.
I think what makes you like Laman or like Nephi is when you are asked to do something, do you do it with a glad and cheerful heart, or do you say "fine, I'll do it" being resentful of what you are missing out on the whole time. I am going to try to be like Nephi today....even when it comes to dirty diapers and the dishes!

No comments: