Saturday, March 27, 2010

1 Nephi 6-10

Quote "The intensity of our desire to share the gospel is a great indicator of the extent of our personal conversion."
~Elder Dallin H. Oaks
Question "What was Nephi's response when the people in the strange building mocked him and the others who were partaking of the fruit? Why?"
Well, the scriptural account is actually Lehi's vision, so Lehi said that "...after they did enter into that building they did point the finger of scorn at me and those that were partaking of the fruit also; but we heeded them not..." So, I think that would include Nephi's attitude.
Nephi is so impressively obedient, he only cares about making the Lord happy, he really doesn't care what other people think about him. He knows who the Lord is, and he is not about to let "wordly opinions" overthrow his relationship with God.
We also know that those who did notice the mocking felt ashamed, and fell away from the tree. I feel sensitive to this because, I remember many times throughout my younger years, so many of my friends saying "oh, she's Mormon, she won't do that", or "Mormons are this or that", with a mocking, negative tone, almost making me feel ashamed that I was a Mormon. It is very difficult being true to your faith and religion, and living in this world. It was hard for me because, I am a sensitive person, and always wanted everyone to like me, and to fit in (I think all kids want that to some extent), but that comes with a price. So the answer is....you can't do both. Yes you have to live "in" the world, but you don't have to be "of" the world....if that makes any sense. What I am trying to say I guess is that I've had that borderline "ashamed" feeling before in my life, when I was young and unsure of what I believed, but now I know what I believe, and I don't care what people think about Mormons or me, I know what I know, and the Lord knows my heart. That is sufficient for me.

No comments: