Saturday, April 3, 2010

2 Nephi 2-3

Quote "Happiness is the object and design of our existence; and will be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it; and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God."
~ Joseph Smith
Question "What brings you true happiness?"
Joseph Smith already said it best in the above quote. The only "real" happiness comes from the Lord, and in keeping His commandments.
I think that it is hard for people in this world to feel real happiness, and only catch glimpses of it throughout their lives. There are many who battle depression, and those that are physically, spiritually, and emotionally suffering.....can they be "happy"? I'm not sure if complete "true" happiness exists on this earth, or if there are just moments where we feel it.....but I know with all my heart, that after this life, we will know "true" happiness. Just the thought of seeing my Savior, face to face, to see & feel how much He loves me, it makes me happy just thinking of throwing my arms around Him, and thanking Him for all He has done for me.
To those that are suffering at the hands of others I would quote Lehi "...And behold, in thy childhood thou hast suffered afflictions and much sorrow, because of the rudeness of thy brethren. Nevertheless....thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for they gain."
Because of the gift of free agency, I've always compared happiness and misery to a balance. The more suffering and misery you encounter, the greater joy and happiness you can feel. Just like Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden before they partook of the forbidden fruit didn't know how wonderful it was, until they were thrown out into the dreary world. Through our ability to overcome sorrow and pain, also comes the ability to feel greater joy and appreciation for the blessings around us. I don't know if everyone feels like that or not, but in my family growing up, we suffered many things, and I have learned to enjoy that which is good in any situation, because of those things.
I try to be a happy person every day, some days I am more successful than others. But it gives me comfort to know through the hard times, that my Heavenly Father WANTS me to be HAPPY!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I am just loving your great insights! You have such a deep understanding of so many things. Thanks for filling my "empty" tank and making my day brighter.
I think sometimes we have to make our own happiness by remembering our blessings. I feel blessed to know YOU! Hope you have a wonderful Easter day!