Monday, April 12, 2010

2 Nephi 31- Jacob 1

Quote "When we understand our baptismal covenant and the gift of the Holy Ghost, it will change our lives and will establish our total allegiance to the kingdom of God. When temptations come our way, if we will listen, the Holy Ghost will remind us that we have promised to remember our Savior and obey the commandments of God."
~Elder Robert D. Hales
Question "Sometimes we take our baptism for granted. What do you do to remember and increase your appreciation for your baptism?"
I love love love the last chapter in Nephi. Nephi 33 is by far my favorite chapter in the whole Book of Mormon. I love Nephi. I love his plainness, and his testimony sealed on those pages for everyone to see. I cannot read this chapter and not know that the Book of Mormon is true. I don't know how anyone could think that Joseph Smith a young boy could write this on his own, and make up such an intricate story. Nephi was a real man, and he kept those plates. And he said it best "...hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good." Nephi's only purpose, Joseph Smith's only purpose, and President Monson's only purpose is to persuade man to believe in Christ and do good.
I know that the Book of Mormon is true, and I know that the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church on the face of the earth. I am grateful to be a member of it. And in answer to today's question about my baptismal covenants, I think about them every week when I partake of the sacrament, and I think about them every time I am trying to teach my children to keep the commandments, and trying to get them to think about living their lives in a way that is pleasing to their Father in Heaven. I don't think anyone on earth will have a "full" appreciation of their baptism until after this life, when it all comes together in a way that is easy to see and understand for everyone. In any case, I'm grateful for the gift and example of baptism and to have had this wonderful experience in my life.

No comments: